Creating an Emergency Kit on a Budget
Creating an emergency supply kit all once once can be rather expensive and impossible for most families. But you can build one over time on a budget! Here are a few easy tips to help you create an affordable kit!
* Collect essential supplies first (water, food medication and a flashlight).
* Rather than buying bottled water, save empty milk, soda or juice containers, clean and fill with tap water.
* Look for 2 for 1 deals at the grocery store, place 1 in your cupboard and 1 in your kit ( non perishable food only).
* Buys items when you see them on sale.
* Look for items at Dollar Stores or second hand stores.
* Put away $10 a week for your kit cash stash.
* Buy crank radios and flashlights, so that you do not have to continuously buy batteries.
* Ask for supply items as gifts on your holiday wish lists.
* Utilize coupons for food, sanitary and first aid items.
* Recycle your old gear~boots, gloves, flashlights, tools, uniforms and bedding in your emergency supply kit.
* Don’t buy unnecessary items, build a kit to fit your families needs.
* Non-perishable food, at least a 3 day supply of non-perishable food
* Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert
* Dust mask, to help filter contaminated are along with plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
* First aid kit
* Whistle to signal for help
* Moist towelettes, garage bogs and plastic ties for personal sanitation
* Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
* Can opener for food
* Local map
* Cell phone with chargers, inverter or solar charger
* Change of clothes
* Sleeping bag or warm blankets for each person
* Fire extinguisher
* Matches or a lighter
* Feminine supplies/personal hygiene items
* Mess kits, paper cups. plates, plastic utensils, paper towels
* Paper, pencil, books, games, puzzles, activities for children
* Prescription medications and glasses
* Infant formula and diapers
* Pet food and extra water for your pet
* Every family is unique, so your kit will be as well. Create your kit with your family’s unique needs in mind.